Whether you are too inclined toward Virtual Reality or just a casual technology admirer, you must have heard about Oculus Quest 2. A modern-age VR headset, Oculus Quest 2 is a recent addition to the VR arena. This headset is packed with a plethora of features and thus has created a buzz since the moment it launched.
While Oculus Quest 2 enthralls users with its stunning visual experience, this doesn’t come with too many games, leaving its fans disappointed a bit. But don’t panic as every problem comes with a loophole and it is no exception. In this case, the loophole comes in the form of an app, called SideQuest.
It is a platform for sideloading apps and games onto your Oculus Quest 2. Here, we will show you how to use SideQuest to get the most out of your Oculus Quest 2. We will walk you through the process of sideloading apps and games, as well as some tips and tricks for using SideQuest. So, what keeps you waiting? Read on and get started.
What is Oculus Quest 2?
Are you curious to know how to use SideQuest on Oculus Quest 2 at the earliest? Well, in that case, hold your horses and first unveil some information about the VR headset to have a better understanding.
The Oculus Quest 2 is a standalone, all-in-one VR headset that doesn’t require a PC or phone to power it. It’s the successor to the original Oculus Quest and features up-to-date hardware, a modified, HD display, and great support for additional accessories.
The Quest 2 uses inside-out tracking, meaning that it doesn’t require any external sensors to track your movements. This makes it more convenient to set up and use than other VR headsets, which can be a big plus if you’re new to VR.
It is also compatible with Oculus Link, a software update that allows you to connect the headset to a gaming PC and play PC-based VR games. This, in turn, makes the Quest 2 much more versatile than its predecessor, which was limited to mobile apps and games. If you’re looking for a great all-around VR experience, the Oculus Quest 2 is hard to beat.
Some of the key features of the Oculus Quest 2 include
- A lighter and more comfortable design than the original Quest
- Higher-resolution display than the original Quest
- Improved processing power with a Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor
- Built-in speakers and microphone
A Brief Introduction to SideQuest
SideQuest is mainly a third-party app store for the Oculus Quest that offers a wide variety of free and paid content. While the Oculus Store offers a limited selection of apps and games, SideQuest provides access to a much larger library of titles, including many experimental, and niche titles that you won’t find elsewhere.
While SideQuest is unofficial and not supported by Oculus, it’s a safe and incredibly useful tool for Quest owners who want to get more out of their headsets.
What are some benefits of using SideQuest with Oculus Quest 2?
There are many benefits of using SideQuest on Oculus Quest 2. Some of them are mentioned here for the readers’ sake of convenience. Check them out and find what makes SideQuest 2 worth giving a thought.
- First, it allows you to sideload apps and games that are not available on the Oculus Store. This means you can access a wider range of content, including experimental titles and apps that are still in development.
- Secondly, SideQuest makes it easy to install updates for your sideloaded apps and games. This is important because developers often release updates for their apps outside of the Oculus Store, which can be difficult to keep track of otherwise.
- SideQuest gives you the ability to take screenshots and record video footage of your VR experiences, which can be shared with others or used for promotional purposes. This is a great way to show off what you’re playing to your friends or to capture memories of particularly fun or memorable moments.
- The next advantage is that this platform allows you to easily manage your storage space on Oculus Quest 2 by uninstalling apps and games that you no longer want or need. This is useful if you find yourself running out of space due to all the sideloaded content you’ve installed.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Using SideQuest on Oculus Quest 2
Now we have unveiled all the basics about SideQuest and Oculus Quest 2, it’s high time to find out how you can use this third-party app on Oculus Quest 2 to get the most out of this VR headset. Follow the instructions mentioned below to avoid any confusion later on.
- To use SideQuest, you’ll need to install the SideQuest desktop app on your computer, then connect your Quest to your PC using a USB cable. SideQuest is available for almost all operating systems, such as Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Now, run the installer and wait for a while until the app gets installed on your system. This process includes all the drivers needed for moving files to your Oculus Quest.
- Now, if you want to install any featured app, then click on the App’s Thumbnail image and tap “Install Latest” on the page.
- Click on the icon reflecting an arrow inside a box and select your APK from the window that opens.
- To launch the app on your Oculus Quest 2, go to Library and click on Unknown Sources. Now, select the app you want to launch and you are ready to get started.
That concludes the guide. If you’re looking for a way to get more out of your Oculus Quest 2, then SideQuest is definitely worth checking out. This third-party desktop app is a great way to access a whole range of extra features and content that you wouldn’t be able to otherwise, and it’s really easy to use once you get the hang of it.
So, are you curious about what SideQuest has to offer? If yes, then be sure to give it a try and you might be surprised at just how much it can enhance your Oculus Quest 2 experience.
Do you like the post? Share your feedback with us in the comment section below as we would love to hear from you.