Although the internet packs a massive range of social media platforms these days, nothing can still beat the popularity of the ultra-strong fan base of Facebook. With two billion logins daily, FB is still in the race.
The story of this award-winning social media portal started in 2004 when it used to be a grist for the gossip mill. Since its inception, the platform has grown beyond anyone’s wildest imagination and has seen various ups and downs throughout its journey.
So, if you are a loyal FB user or returning to your existing FB account and need help figuring out your username, then this write-up is definitely for you. A username is your identity on Facebook, and you must remember this credential to access your Facebook account. But what if you don’t? Does it mean your FB account has gone forever? Or can you retrieve this credential?
Scroll down the page and read this tutorial to the end and get all your answers and resolve your dilemma. We assure you that you’ll easily retrieve this credential by the end of this guide. The clock is ticking; hence, stop wasting time, and let’s get started.
What is Facebook Username?
Before we unveil steps to find your FB credential, let’s recall what exactly the username or user id is. A username refers to the web address of your profile or page and is generally displayed as Facebook.com/ yourname.
It might be a variation of your name and is often assigned by the platform itself. However, Facebook allows you to create or choose your username and make it more memorable and accessible.
Unlike other platforms, FB doesn’t ask you to choose a username while signing up. It only requires you to add your name, which serves as your profile name, and then it auto-assigns you with a user id based on your name. While multiple users can share the same profile name, the username will be always unique.
Remember that you can only have one username for your page or profile, and you cannot select a username that is already assigned to others. This credential can only contain alphanumeric characters and full stops. You cannot add generic terms or extensions.
Moreover, your FB username must be at least five characters long and shouldn’t impersonate someone else. All in all, this credential is your unique identification ID on Facebook and must be created by keeping FB guidelines in mind.
FB Username Vs. Profile Name: What’s the Difference?
Don’t confuse the FB username with the Facebook Profile name, as both elements represent different things altogether. While these terms might get used interchangeably sometimes, they ooze a whole different story and users should be aware of the differences to avoid committing a mistake when retrieving the information.
Username is your profile web address and reflects your Facebook handle, while a profile name is what other FB users use to identify you. Also, multiple users share the same profile name, but the username is something unique and assigns one per profile. Got the difference? If so, then cut to the chase and turn back to our main topic – how to find a Facebook username.
A Guide to Retrieving FB Username on Android and iPhone
Please note that you can only view the FB username on the browser; hence, the process remains the same whether you are using an Android or iPhone. Follow the steps below and find your FB username in a few simple knocks. Do not overlook any of the instructions, and avoid adding hassle and time to this simple and quick process.
- Unlock your Android or iPhone device and open an updated, modern browser of your choice. Android users often prefer Chrome, while iPhone users are more inclined to Safari. Pick any of the options and move to the next step.
- The next step is to enter the official URL of Facebook, i.e., Facebook.com, in the search engine box.
- Enter the homepage, and log into your Facebook account. Make sure to enter the accurate credentials to avoid any fuss later on.
- Once you log into your FB account, move to the upper right-hand corner, and select the profile picture to expand the menu.
- From there, you must scroll down to the option saying “Privacy & Settings”.
- Click on the Settings icon, and you can then locate your username at the top. To avoid repeating the process, you must note down your username in a safe place.
Can I change my FB username?
The most common reason why people often forget their FB username is the complicated combination of alphanumeric characters and full stops. Hence, it’s advised to change your username to your choice and stop indulging in this process over and over again.
However, be mindful that Facebook allows you to change your username once, so ensure that you pick something that you’ll be happy with long-term.
Here’s a quick rundown of the steps involved in the process of changing your Facebook Username. Here’s how to do it.
- Launch the browser and log into your Facebook account.
- Expand the menu by clicking on your Profile picture, and locate the Settings & Privacy option.
- Thereafter, tap on the Settings tab and scroll down to General. This option displays all the general information about your account, including your registered name, email address, and username.
- You will then find the Edit button next to the Username section. Select it and move further.
- Enter your desired username and see if it is available. If so, tap on the “Save Changes” button and confirm your decision.
- Now, navigate back to your profile and refresh the FB page to check the Facebook URL. It then displays a new username you selected a few seconds back. Selecting a new username isn’t rocket science and is possible, as long as it is not already taken and complies with FB guidelines.
That’s all about the guide on how to find a FB username on Android or iPhone. Although Facebook is losing popularity day by day, billions of users still log into this platform, keeping it in the race and gossip.
However, what exactly we don’t like about FB is that it only allows you to change the username once, which might be disappointing for users. But the end goal is to connect with your near and dear ones with an FB handle and not to showcase a fancy username. It is just the profile’s web address and has nothing to do with your overall experience.
If you’ve found our guide interesting, then leave your feedback with us. We would love to hear from you.