Also known as the Unified Multi-purpose ID, the UMID card is a widely accepted identification card that is accepted across the Philippines. It is alternatively known as the SSS ID is a necessity if you live in the Philippines and want to have a standard ID that you can use across different government and non-government bodies for verification.
So, if you are a resident there and you don’t have this identification proof, we’d highly recommend that you get it without fail. Acquiring the SSD ID or the UMID card is pretty simple. All you have to do is visit the SSS office to acquire the card after verifying your details.
The process is a little complex, especially because it involves submitting an application form, submitting the involved photographs, and the biometrics as well. However, with the rush in demand, applying for a UMID card isn’t the simplest to achieve. There are certain procedures that you need to overcome through the process.
However, if you are considering applying for the same in the future, we have sorted out a detailed guide for you to look into.
What is the UMID Card?
Also known as the Unified Multipurpose Identification, the UMID is a standard or common identification that works across four government agencies in the Philippines, including the Social Security System (SSS), the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth), and the Home Development Mutual Fund or Pag-IBIG Fund.
The introduction of the UMID card dates back to 2011 after it replaced the existing SSS ID card that was previously used.
Since it serves as a standard or unified identification card, it contains an individual’s details, including their name, address, date of birth, photograph, and signature. Also, the card has a unique Common Reference Number (CRN), which also doubles as an additional identification number.
Who is Eligible to Apply for the UMID Card?
Not every person who feels like it can apply for the UMID card. Instead, there are some eligibility criteria that one has to be mindful of. They include:
- You should be an SSS member with at least one contribution
- Your previous UMID or SSS ID card was lost, misplaced, or stolen
- You want to update the details on your UMID card
- You want to upgrade the standard UMID card to an ATM card
- You want to replace the old SSS ID with a new one
If you don’t fulfill at least one of these above-mentioned criteria, you won’t be eligible to apply for the UMID card.
What are the Requirements for Getting a UMID card?
Let’s say that you are eligible for getting the UMID card. There are certain important primary and secondary requirements that you have to fulfill to sanction the card in your name.
Following is a list of everything that you’d need:
- UMID card
- Social security card
- Driver’s license
- NBI clearance
- Postal identity card
- License to own and possess firearms
- Alien Certificate of registration
- Voter’s ID card
- Seaman’s Book
- School or company ID
- Senior citizen ID proof
- TIN ID
- Birth certificate
- Marriage contract
- OWWA card
- School records and transcripts
- Permanent residency ID
- ATM card with the cardholder’s name
- Health or medical card
- Life insurance policy
- ID from LGU
- Fisherman’s Card, etc.
Remember that you have to carry whatever ID proof and certificates you have available from the secondary requirements. However, the documentation under the primary requirements is a must.
How to Apply for a UMID Card?
Now that you have a good idea of the kind of requirements you need for the application process, you must know the steps to apply. Ideally, there are two ways to sort things out.
Branch walk-in – you need to walk into the nearest SSS branch near you and then discuss the application process with someone responsible for the same.
Online appointment system – you can set an appointment via online means through my.sss and then visit your nearest SSS branch to submit and process the application.
Here’s a further breakdown of the steps you should follow:
- Start by downloading the official UMID application form. You can download it from the official website of SSS.
- Once you have downloaded and printed the application form, you need to sit down and fill in the entire form. Ensure that you include relevant information in the form. Also, you must fill in the details in Capital letters, so keep that into consideration.
- Schedule your online appointment with SSS. This is to process the filled application form, sort and submit the biometrics and finalize the submission of the application form.
- Once you have submitted the application form, you will then get all the details about the next time that you have to pick up your UMID card. Once the card is ready, you will receive a text message with the update so you have the intimation about the same.
In case of any queries or complications, SSS has their hotline at 8920-6401 local 5714 or you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UMID card is hands down one of the most respected cards in the Philippines. If you didn’t have much information about the same, we hope that this article gives you all the details that you need to know. Not just a national ID, it can be used internationally as well, which is another benefit of this card. Just ensure that you check the eligibility criteria before applying.
How much will the UMID card cost me?
The application fee for the UMID card application is entirely free of cost. You don’t have to pay anything for the processing of the application.
When will my UMID card expire?
The UMID has lifetime validity, so you won’t have to worry about the card expiring.
How much is the UMID card replacement fee?
If you want to replace the UMID card, you will have to pay a fee of ₱200 for the new card.