Want to make new friends? Or chat with strangers online? Then Omegle is one of the best free online chat platforms where you can talk with a stranger by texting and even you can video chat with them. You can use Omegle without registering and without sign up so your identity remains anonymous to other users and you cannot see other users’ names or identity. Though if you feel comfortable with the person with whom you are chatting, then you can reveal your identity. But beware, as there are a lot of pranksters on the platform and they can catfish you.
So as we said Omegle is a free online chat social media platform that allows users to socialize with other users without registering an account just like Facebook or Instagram. Omegle pairs users with other users in one-on-one chat sessions randomly. Here, they chat anonymously by getting the names “You” and “Stranger” or “Stranger 1” and “Stranger 2” in the case of Spy mode. Within a month of launch, Omegle used to get 150,000 page views per day and right now it has thousands of users a day. Apart from text chat, users can also use the features of Voice chat and Video chat. If you a college student or you want to find anyone of your similar interests then, before heading you can add your interests in the box and to find college students you have to provide your college email address and it will remain private, it is just for confirmation.
Omegle is available as a mobile application that lets users chat with strangers from their smartphones.
Omegle Features – Features of Omegle
- Omegle paired its users at random to communicate as strangers with other strangers in the one-on-one chat session.
- Omegle offers a video chat mode that pairs strangers together who are using webcams and microphones. The video chat mode also has a text window in it to text while video call.
- Spy Mode – There is a feature called Spy mode in Omegle where users have two options; first, to be the “spy” and ask a question to two strangers, or to discuss a question with another stranger. Spy mode user can leave the chat without ending the conversation of two other strangers.
- Input “interest” tags – In 2012, Omegle brought a new feature called ‘Add your interest” tags. Users will be paired with a stranger who has in common interest with the user. You can input as many interests as you would like, and no match with similar interest is found then the user is paired with an utterly new stranger instead.
- Unmonitored video chat mode and video streams – Omegle allows to use of unmonitored video section if they are above eighteen, they can view and share uncensored explicit video content with other users.
- Dorm Chat mode – This feature allows users to chat with their colleagues and classmates anonymously if they are associated with a college or university. Here, users have to provide an email address ending in “.edu” to verify and they can get into Dorm chat.
- ReCaptcha – There were several complaints about the bots on the site so Omegle implemented ReCaptch security method to reduce the use of bots from the site.
How to use Omegle – How to chat with strangers anonymously with Omegle
As we mentioned in the introduction, that you don’t need to register an account on Omegle to use. It is super easy to use the Omegle on its site as well as its app on a smartphone. Here’s the drill on how to use Omegle to video chat with strangers.
- Open the official link of Omegle on your PC or phone.
- Now, you can add interests, to found a similar match and choose if you want to use its text chat or Video chat mode
- (If you want to use spy mode or Dorm chat mode then you have to fill the proper requirements to enter in this chat mode)
- Click on ‘Text” or “Video” to select the mode of your chat.
- On the next page, you will have to go through ReCaptcha security to prove that you are not a bot.
- Now, you will be paired with a random person in one-on-one chat.
The drawback of using Omegle
- We have mentioned the amazing features of Omegle and how to use it but before tend to use it; you need to know some drawback and negative aspect of chatting with strangers online.
- When we tried Omegle, we found that even it has ReCaptcha to reduce the amounts of bots on the site still, it is full of bots. People are promoting their other websites on Omegle.
- Since you are chatting with a stranger anonymously, you have to know that people can provide their fake identity and names. So, you have to beware of the people who can catfish you online.
- Its unmonitored video chat mode and video stream include a lot of nudity and sexual content so if you don’t want to get into such stuff then Omegle is not quite safe for you guys.
- Every time you refresh for a new chat there is a new bot promoting something about site or snapchat.
Personally, I don’t find Omegle as a good and trustworthy site to chat with stranger online. There are several other similar sites where you can chat with a stranger anonymously but we haven’t reviewed them yet and seeing Omegle, we can assure that they will also have bots and fake people to lure you to their promoting sites or SnapChat profiles. So, it is full of bots and prankster so use at your consent.