It is like every major studio and TV channel network is heading towards digital streaming. Discovery Plus is one such platform that is launched recently to offer its viewers on-the-go entertainment directly from smartphones.
The platform offers more than 55,000 programs in over 25 nations. Plus, this streaming service can be accessed from almost every device that runs on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, as well as Android TV, Roku, and Firestick. Since installing and using Discovery Plus on a smartphone is easy, no user finds this process complicated, but many users don’t know how to activate Discovery Plus on TV.
Here, we have presented a detailed guide on how to activate Discovery Plus on TV.
What TV Platforms Are Supported by Discovery Plus?
As stated above, Discovery TV channel, just like other channels, has started an online streaming service. However, this doesn’t mean that it is not available as a TV channel now. It is possible to watch Discovery on the cable.
In order to offer a convenient option to users, the operators try to offer a web-based utility. If you have the latest smartphone, you don’t have to worry as this application can be installed easily, but the list of supported TVs is not that big.
Which SmartTVs supports Discovery Plus?
- An Android TV (running on Android TV 5.0 or higher
- Apple TV (running on tvOS 12.0 and higher)
- Samsung Smart TVs (New models after 2017)
- Xbox One, Series S, and Series X
- Amazon Fire TV (Fire TV Cube, Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Edition)
Just like other digital streaming services, Discovery Plus also comes with a premium plan. Since you cannot opt for a premium plan within your smart TV, it is recommended to purchase such plans from your smartphone or PC. If you are on an active plan, you can simply log into your Discovery TV account on TV.
This will save you time as even if your TV supports browser features, it would be irritating to complete the whole process on TV. Sometimes the chances of transactions getting failed are higher in smart TVs as the TV apps are not optimized for these particular tasks. If you are already on an active plan, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to activate Discovery Plus on TV.
How to Activate Discovery Plus App on TV
On Android TV
Nowadays, most Android TVs come with Play Store as a pre-installed app. You can easily sign in to Play Store and download all applications that support TV. Nevertheless, if your TV doesn’t come with Play Store as default, there is a way to install Discovery Plus with the APK installer package file.
However, this doesn’t guarantee that the application will run smoothly since software and hardware may not provide enough support. Let’s see how to activate Discover Plus on an Android TV.
Using Play Store
- If your TV has Google Play Store, you can download and install the app easily. Simply launch the Play Store and search for Discovery Plus.
- Click on the “Install” option. Once the application is installed, you can launch it.
- Now try to log in with your credentials. If you don’t have an account, you can register with your phone number or other social media account.
- Once you are logged in, you will land on the homepage, where you access all content available on the platform.
- If you are not on a premium plan, you can purchase it.
Note: As we mentioned earlier, in order to purchase the premium plan, you should use a smartphone. Since doing the same on smart TV will be a daunting task. You know how troublesome it can be to search for a specific video on YouTube using a TV remote. Voice assistance is good for that, but you cannot type using a voice command with a remote.
Install Discovery Plus on Android TV with APK
APK is a package file installer that is used to install a third-party application on smart devices running on Android OS. It is a great way to install applications that are not available on Google Play Store. You can use Discover Plus APK to install the app on the TV. Here’s how to do it:
- A pen drive (if your TV doesn’t support browsers)
- Discovery Plus .apk file (you can download it from the online third-party app store)
- Firstly, you have to transfer Discovery plus apk file to your smart TV. You can transfer the file from a USB.
- Insert the USB and open File Manager. Find the apk file and select it.
- The installation will start now. It may take a few minutes.
- Once it is installed, you can launch the application and start the login process mentioned above.
On Amazon Fire TV
All Amazon Fire compatible devices with Discovery Plus have been listed above. Ensure that your device is compatible with running Discovery Plus before proceeding with this guide.
We have mentioned Amazon Fire-supported devices above where you can install and activate Discovery Plus. So, make sure your device is compatible with the application before following the guide.
- Turn on your Amazon Fire device, and the home screen will appear on the screen.
- Navigate to the search bar or search using voice command with remote for Discovery Plus.
- Select the app when you see it in the search results.
- Click on the “Get” option. The download process will begin, and the app will be installed.
- Once the process is over, open the Discover Plus.
- Sign in using your Discovery Plus credentials. You can also log in using Google, Facebook, phone number, or Apple ID.
- Once you are signed in, you will see all content available on the app. However, you need a premium subscription to watch the content.
On Apple TV
We know that installing Apple TVs can seem difficult and time-consuming, but we want to make sure you feel confident in the process. Make sure to follow these steps closely to avoid any mistakes!
- Launch the App Store on your Apple TV.
- Now open the App Store and search for “Discovery Plus,” then select the app once it pops up in your search results. Alternatively, you can use voice commands to find it.
- Open the Discovery Plus app store page on your device. Select “Install” to begin the installation process. The time it takes depends on what generation of Apple TV you have, as well as the speed of the internet.
- On the bottom right, you’ll see a login button. Sign up or sign in with your email address to enjoy full access to Discovery Plus.
On Roku Devices
As with other apps on Roku, Discovery Plus can be found in the channel store. The app can be downloaded and installed on any Roku device, which will let you access all of Discovery’s content.
- You can turn your Roku on, and it will automatically open to the homepage.
- Now scroll through the left sidebar on the Roku remote to find ‘Streaming Channels.’
- You can now choose which channels you want to install. You find the list by clicking on “Search Channels.”
- Now type “Discovery Plus” in the search bar on your Roku remote. After typing some of the letters, it should appear in the search results.
- Select the ‘Add Channel’ button situated on your Roku device in order to add Discovery Plus
- Once installed, go to the launchpad or main screen to select Discovery Plus.
What are you waiting for? Sign up or log in to Discovery Plus and get all of the latest content that its members enjoy!
On Samsung Smart TVs
If you have a Samsung TV, you can also enjoy Discovery Plus on your TV. It’s easy to install! You just need these things: An HDMI connection, an internet-connected Samsung TV, and a Samsung account.
You must have a Samsung account logged in to your Samsung TV
- Turn on your Samsung Tv and navigate to the search bar, which is located in the top-right corner.
- Now search for Discovery Plus in the Play Store, where it should show up near the top of your results. Once you select it, the app will install automatically.
- You need to have a Samsung account signed in to your TV. If you don’t have an account, then you have to create one now. The app should start downloading automatically if you already have an account set up.
- When the downloading process is over, choose “Add to Home.” This will make it easy for you to find Discovery Plus.
- Discovery Plus is now open for you to start exploring.
- Discovery Plus now has the ability for you to log in or sign up with your Samsung TV. You can now enjoy all of their content at home without the need for a computer or laptop.